How to mount a sliding insect screen
Summer is coming, and with summer comes the heat, which brings with it a huge wave of annoying and unhealthy insects, for example, mosquitoes. This is a very serious problem, since mosquitoes transmit dangerous diseases. For that reason, we want to give you the solution to this problem, with something as apparently simple as mosquito nets.
This wonderful item represents a filter that keeps mosquitoes away from inside your home and allows natural light and fresh air in. Now, you may be wondering: How to install a sliding mosquito net? Discover everything you need to do it yourself in the most efficient way. simple, correct and professional.
What is a sliding mosquito net?
It is a structure containing a meshusually made of fabric, which provides an excellent complete protection against mosquitoes and other insects or airborne debris. This mesh is formed by different small perforations that restrict the passage of mosquitoes. In addition, being sliding, it offers an opening by simply moving one of the window sashes.
How to buy the right sliding mosquito screen
Before we talk about how to mount a sliding mosquito net, you must buy the sliding mosquito net perfect for your window. That means you must measure correctly to have a suitable mosquito net for its correct installation.
It should be noted that the measuring process represents a vital step in the purchase of a mosquito net. We do not want you to buy a product that in the end does not meet your needs and generates more problems than at the beginning. So, to measure you must:
- Use a construction meternot seamstress, and take measurements in millimeters.
- Measure the width on one of the window sashes at three different points: high, center and low. Choose the lowest size. This is done by measuring the distance between the side frame of the window and the outer edge of the sash of the window that is closed, resulting in the gap to be covered by the sliding screen.
- Measure the height on one of the window sashes at three different points: left, center and right. Choose the lowest size. This is done by measuring between the two window profiles, in the light opening, or from edge to edge.
- With those measurements, go to the mosquito net supplier and choose the model you like the most with the measurements already taken. On the other hand, if the mosquito net already comes with standard measurements, make sure to cut them considering the measurements previously taken.
Tools for the installation of the insect screen
To assemble your sliding mosquito net like a professional, you need tools. What are they?
- Rubber hammer.
- Subway (not seamstress).
- Saw, saw or hacksaw.
With these tools, you are now ready to begin the assembly and installation of your sliding mosquito net. But, before you start, make sure that the mosquito net kit contains, at least:
- The 4 profiles, 2 horizontal and 2 vertical.
- The 4 brackets, which will be used to assemble the frame. It should be noted that 2 of these will have a bearing system. You will see why.
- The mesh.
- The narrow mat that goes inside.
- Rubber gasket.
- Scalpel, cutter or exacto.
- Plastic for rubber gasket insertion.
- The thick mat that goes on the outside.
- Assembly and mounting manual.
Now you are ready to start. So, how to assemble a sliding mosquito net like a professional? Pay special attention to the following steps.
Steps to install the sliding insect screen
Now that you have everything you need to assemble and install your sliding screen, let's get started with the process.
Step 1: Assemble the rectangular frame
You may purchase the screen assembled and ready to install. However, we want to show you how to assemble it, in case you get it unassembled. For that you must:
- Take the narrow mat and insert it into the upper groove of each of the profiles.
- Cut with scissors the narrow mat flush with each of the 4 profiles, so that it covers the entire channel of the outer groove.
- To assemble the lower part of the frame, take 1 of the lower profiles (the shorter ones) and insert 1 bearing bracket into the profile. This is done with the rubber hammer carefully.
- Take the thick mat and insert it through the outer groove, which is the widest, leaving an excess of 3 cm on each side.
- Cut off the excess of the thick mat with scissors.
- Insert the other lower bracket, which is the one with the bearing system. For this, you must make sure that the remaining 3 cm fit into the groove of the bracket.
- Repeat the procedure with the upper part of the frame.
- Insert the side profiles into one of the reinforced parts. This is done with the rubber hammer very gently.
- Insert the thick mats until they are flush.
- Cut off the excess with scissors.
- Insert the other part of the frame, and you're done.
- Make sure that the frame is firm and at 90° angles.
Step 2: Insert the mesh into the frame
After having the frame assembled, it is time to insert the mesh and have your sliding mosquito net almost ready. For this step you must:
- Spread the mesh along the reinforced frame.
- Insert the rubber gasket in the groove of the whole profile with the plastic to insert the rubber gasket.
- Spread the mesh without stretching or pulling it tightly. On the first two sides, place them without stretching the mesh. For the third and fourth sides, stretch the mesh as much as possible, while inserting the rubber gasket.
Step 3: Cut the excess of the mesh
Once you have the sliding screen assembled with the mesh, you must:
- Use the scalpel, cutter or exacto to cut the excess mesh. Be careful not to cut the rubber. You can push the rubber gasket while cutting the excess mesh.
Step 4: Install the sliding insect screen
After having the mosquito net assembled, you must proceed to install it, being this the easiest and most pleasant step, because you will see the fruit of your work. To install it you must:
- Take the sliding screen with the lower part containing the bearing system facing down.
- Fit the upper part of the profile into the upper channel of the sliding window.
- Carefully support the bearings in the bottom channel of the sliding window.
- And ready, you can now enjoy your sliding mosquito net.
Step 5: Cleaning and maintenance
This is a plus that we leave you to perform the maintenance of your sliding mosquito net easily, safely and without damaging the structure. For this you must:
- Take a damp cloth and spray enough alcohol on it.
- Gently glide over all soiled areas of the sliding screen and sliding window frame.
In conclusion, in a few simple steps you have learned how to install sliding mosquito nets with total safety and accuracy, as a professional would do it. Do not forget that the previous measurements determine the success of the process of assembly and assembly of the mosquito net. In addition, you can perform simple maintenance to extend the life of the screen and its frame.
And to make all this explanation even clearer, here is a video: