Why mosquitoes bite and how to avoid them
Whether you are on the road or away from home avoid mosquito bites helps you to have a much calmer life. This insect, although it does not usually cause serious diseases, can be quite annoying when it is fluttering around you and also offers the possibility of giving you a little peck.
Summer nights, which tend to be the perennial favorite nights for these insects, will be much more pleasant if the small fly does not approach us But how can you do it? Thanks to the amount of documentation we have today, based on popular experience and medical records, everything is much easier to cope with.
Why do mosquitoes bite?
To avoid mosquito bites you have to know the reason why they want to bite you. As popular wisdom we know that this insect seeks human blood in order to feed their eggs before the larvae come to the surface. The females, which are in charge of this action, locate in the hemoglobin those proteins that are useful for the development of their offspring.
Males, on the other hand, do not participate in this function since they feed on flower nectar and, in addition, they do not have the the ability to lay eggs. According to studies, they can lay up to 120 specimens four times a year, that is, about 480 eggs per year.
Why are some people more attractive to mosquitoes?
Some people seem to be more attractive for mosquitoes than others. Scientists believe this is due to a combination of factorsincluding blood type, body heat, the amount of carbon dioxide exhaled, and even certain chemical compounds present in sweat.
Why do they itch more at night?
Far from being a popular saying, the mosquitoes bite more at night than during the waking hours of the day. Strongly energetic, this insect seems to like dark lights and silence.
Generally, the weather during the night is more humid and, in the summer months, points to high temperatures, which makes the mosquito is in its perfect habitat and from here act as you know best. To enjoy the rest, with some of the tricks that we have given you in the previous section everything will be much easier.
How to avoid mosquito bites?
The months when it is hot or very humid are the worst to avoid the flutter of these insects on your head. While are always in the airWhen summer arrives, they are everywhere and their presence can be quite annoying.
Avoiding mosquito bites will not only leave you calmer, but it can also prevent certain diseases. Here are a few tips to help you avoid mosquito bites tips on how to achieve this:
- Use of repellentis one of the most effective ways to get rid of mosquitoes and still enjoy the day. It is sold in pharmacies, depending on the case you will need a prescription or, if it is for common insects, you may be able to buy it on your own. It is usually given to people who have a really bad time or who go on a trip to tropical countries.
- Covering the skinduring the summer months, use clothing that covers your skin is a way to put that barrier that the mosquito needs. Because it clashes with the fabric, it will think twice before penetrating inside you in search of blood for protein. Everything from soft fabrics to thicker vests are suitable for this purpose.
- Preventing water stagnationIf you are watering a potted plant or garden, you must prevent the water from stagnating so that mosquitoes do not make their nest. Contrary to what many may think, this insect makes its home from the moisture and the small puddle that has been left behind while you are tending your plants.
- Insert mosquito nets in windows: the mosquito nets are the perfect accessory to avoid mosquito bites. If you deny the insect from the first moment it enters your home, it is much more difficult for it to enter and give you a small welt. So, if you want to nip the problem in the bud, covering the windows and doors of your home is the most effective method we know of to date. There are options of many types such as sliding mosquito nets, pleated mosquito netsetc., so you will have no problem finding yours.
- Medicinal plantsSome medicinal plants help to keep mosquitoes away from your home. Basil, for its healing properties and strong smell, is the firewall of this insect at the doors of the home. Just leave a few leaves on the floor or in the windows and you will begin to see that they no longer want anything to do with you.
Tips to avoid bites
There are many ways to avoid mosquito bites. Below we have brought you some tricks that can help you have a much more enjoyable evening:
- Mosquito braceletsmosquitoes: they are quite popular in tropical countries. When you travel to destinations such as Costa Rica, Cuba or Vietnam, it is recommended to wear an anti-mosquito bracelet to avoid complications. In some destinations their bite does not go beyond the common but as they are more numerous and the heat and/or humidity conditions are higher, it is good to wear them to continue enjoying your vacation.
- Prohibited sweet smellsSweet smells attract mosquitoes. The insect flies looking for something that is cloying and with which it wants to get stuck. If you use harsher fragrances or avoid using honey-colored shampoos and gels, you will surely scare them away.
- Light-colored clothingWe have already warned that covering the skin is one of the most effective measures against the invasion of these insects. Avoiding mosquito bites when you wear long-sleeved clothing is much easier and, if you also wear long-sleeved clothing, you can has light colorsIf you do not use it, you will notice that the result is much more effective.
- Sleeping with vaporizing plugsRemember when your mother used to give you that pill to stop mosquitoes from biting you at night? The vaporizer plug is one of the most popular measures when it comes to chasing these insects out of your home.
- Avoid ultrasonic devicesThey began to be sold a few years ago because, supposedly, they were used to keep mosquitoes away from our homes so we could sleep peacefully like babies. Although they became very popular in some homes, it was soon proven that there was no connection and that, of course, it was not effective at all.
Home-made repellents to avoid mosquito bites
To avoid mosquito bites nothing better than a good homemade repellent with which we can give our home that calm it needs. During the summer months, especially, you can see how this insect appears everywhere undermining your patience to the maximum.
For those who would like to get some ideas, here is one of them list of the most effective remedies:
- Citronellaplant with an unbearable smell for many insects. The mosquitoes, which are usually quite delicate for the aromas, can not with her. Planting it in a pot or placing it in the garden can be a very effective measure to stop this bug from bothering us.
- BasilBasil is a very popular ingredient in kitchens. Basil also has those properties that make the mosquito does not want to be at home; from rather strong odorYou only need a few crushed leaves and a liter of water to make the perfect mixture.
- Eucalyptus oilPerfect to avoid mosquito bites. Only 15 drops are enough to stop these insects from bothering you.
- ClovesThe strong smell of cloves is a natural way to repel mosquitoes without precedent. The way of preparation is somewhat more complex, since you have to cook the plant. In a pot, you have to put about 30 cloves with two cups of water. From here, you have to boil them for 20 minutes until they are well cooked and get the smell that will make the mosquito disappear.
- Chamomileeasy to find and perfect to avoid mosquito bites during the summer months. Again we are facing a strong smell that many insects can not stand and, thanks to which you can sleep at night during the summer months. As an infusion, like cloves, you have to boil the contents in hot water and then place it somewhere in the house.
As you have been able to see, the mosquito bites are quite annoying especially when it is hot or there is a lot of humidity in the environment. People prone to them usually have a hard time, so it is highly recommended to use some remedies to avoid suffering the consequences.