The tiger mosquito: tips for its control and your protection
The tiger mosquito is one of the most feared insects during the hot months. Its greatest activity is usually between May and November and it is known to have a aggressive bite which can transmit diseases of concern such as dengue, Zika or yellow fever.
It usually lives in urban and peri-urban environments where there are small amounts of water and where it can reproduce and grow. Bearing all this in mind, we need to tell you how we can obtain protection against the tiger mosquito. Read on to learn more.
Getting to know the tiger mosquito
The tiger mosquito is a native of Southeast Asia that has gained notoriety due to its rapid invasion process in many parts of the world. It is easily identified by its characteristic appearance and aggressive behavior.
Characteristics of the tiger mosquito
- SizeTiger mosquitoes are small, measuring approximately 2 to 10 mm in length.
- ColourBlack-and-white striped pattern on their body and legs, which gives them their common name. The thorax has a distinctive white lyre-shaped line down the center, and the legs have black and white bands.
- BehaviorThey are diurnal, which means they are active during the day, especially in the early morning and at dusk. They are known to be aggressive and persistent in their search for blood to feed on, which makes them particularly annoying to people.
- Breeding habitatsTiger mosquitoes lay their eggs in containers with standing water. They can breed in a wide variety of places, such as flower pots, old tires, abandoned toys, animal water troughs, and other objects that may contain standing water.
How to identify a tiger mosquito
Correctly identifying the tiger mosquito is a crucial step in taking appropriate preventive measures. Here are some key points to help you identify them and differentiate them from other mosquitoes:
- SizeTiger mosquitoes are small, with a length of approximately 2 to 10 mm. However, their size can vary depending on several factors, including their diet and environmental conditions.
- Color and patternThe most distinctive aspect of the tiger mosquito is its unique coloration. They are primarily black with black and white striped patterns on their body and legs. The most distinctive feature is a single white or silver lyre-shaped stripe down the center of their thorax.
- BehaviorUnlike many other mosquitoes that are more active at night, tiger mosquitoes are primarily diurnal. This means that they tend to be most active during the day, especially at dawn and dusk. They are known for their aggressive biting behavior and tend to fly at low altitudes.
- Breeding habitatsTiger mosquitoes tend to lay their eggs in any small object that can hold water, such as flower pots, old tires, toys, plant dishes, etc. If you see standing water in these types of objects around your home, it could be an indication of the presence of tiger mosquitoes.
- Resting positionTiger mosquitoes have a unique resting position in which their body forms a 45-degree angle with the surface where they are perched.
How to avoid the presence of the tiger mosquito in a private home
We can prevent the tiger mosquito from entering our home if we follow a series of tips and precautions. Some of them are:
- Avoid accumulation of water. Remove objects that may contain water from outside or turn them upside down to prevent them from filling with rainwater (flower pots, wheelbarrows, toys, etc.).
- Change the water in the pet's drinking fountain every 2 days.
- Beware of gutters and standing water in structures (terraces, flat roofs, terraces).
- Cover the tree trunk holes with sand, as well as irregularities in the terrain or places that accumulate water.
- At drains and drainage water water from time to time and monitor irrigation systems. Excessive watering causes waterlogged areas.
- Check for puddles around faucets and air conditioners.
- If we have pondsIn addition, we can acquire red fish that feed on tiger mosquitoes. Other animals such as frogs, nightingales, swallows or bats also do this work.
- If we have swimming pool we have to keep it clean, purified and chlorinated. We also have to keep clean and dry ornamental fountains, irrigation ponds, washing places, etc.
- Use mosquito nets custom-made to cover spaces in windows, doors, balconies and terraces. It is one of the most effective methods to prevent mosquitoes from entering the house.
Identify egg and larvae breeding sites
Mosquitoes need water to reproduce and are usually carried out in outdoor water reservoirs, sewage systems, ornamental fountains, swimming pools, ponds and other places with stagnant water.
Care should also be taken in patios and spaces where there are containers that can collect rain water (flower pots, furniture, toys, etc.). Tires are also often places where tiger mosquitoes are likely to proliferate.
Caution should also be exercised in cemeteries (because of flowers and water containers), urban gardens, sewage, street furniture, gutters, feeding points and animal drinking troughs, among others.
As a precaution, it is better to remove the containers and repair the infrastructures to prevent the formation of water pools.
What to do to prevent the bite?
We can take precautions to avoid insect bitesThe most important thing to remember is to avoid the discomfort caused by the bites and the diseases that can be transmitted through them. Some recommendations are:
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants in risk areas.
- Putting screens on doors and windows.
- Use mosquito repellents.
In the case of children, it is better to use barriers such as the custom-made pleated mosquito netsespecially for sleeping.
Are mosquito nets effective against these mosquitoes?
They are quite effective because serve as a barrier to prevent entry into the home. They are the first defense between us and those mosquitoes. In case we fail, we can always use insect repellent and other tips.
More and more people, faced with the proliferation of insects such as tiger mosquitoes in our country, are opting for get mosquito nets and protect yourself from them.. There are different types of mosquito nets that adapt to each type of door and window to ensure optimum protection.
At Mosquiteras24h we give you the best solution to get protection against the tiger mosquito. By following a few tips you will be able to prevent mosquitoes from entering your home and thus avoid being bitten.